Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Literary Road Trip

Last night I finished reading Leif Enger's Peace Like a River. If you haven't read it, read it. If you've read it, read it again. This book packs an incredible lot of Truth into a novel, and his use of English is amazing. His words about miracles are bright and new.

My three favorite quotes on the first reading, the things that immediately called forth a YES! from inside me:
* No miracle happens without a witness. Someone to declare, Here's what I saw. Here's how it went. Make of it what you will.
* Once traveling, it's remarkable how quickly faith erodes. It starts to look like something else - ignorance, for example. Same thing happened to the Israelites. Sure it's weak, but sometimes you'd rather just have a map.
*Listening to Dad's guitar, halting yet lovely in the search for phrasing, I thought: Fair is whatever God wants to do.

2 comments:

  1. Already commented on your daughter's blog. Love Leif Enger and wish he wrote more. I would also highly recommend Undiscovered Country by his brother, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me so happy to hear about people who have read Peace Like A River. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your bananas here, please. :)