Tuesday, May 10, 2011

By Request, Sort Of

Miss Dance gave me a lovely necklace this Sunday. Miss Language is not home but is gainfully employed in the Big World Beyond. She wants to see this necklace. So, you all get this post, which, btw, you probably would have, anyhow, because I have at thing or two to say about it.


First, the necklace itself:


Isn't it lovely?


Then, the story on why you almost didn't get this post at all. Strictly speaking, this should be the postscript, because the rest of the post was already written in my mind, but the post nearly did not come about so you get this story up front. Be glad.


Yesterday afternoon I went out for my daily Thistle Warfare session (50 per diem get yanked). And after I'd been in for a few minutes, noticed I no longer had the necklace around my neck.


I went out, along with Miss Dance, and searched the grasses and weeds for about 45 agonizing minutes till it was found! (yes, just like the woman who lost one of her coins and had her neighbors help search for it.) And then of course there was joy and rejoicing and I decided I had best get the photos and the post before I managed to do anything lame like lose the whole thing.


And now for the things I had planned in the first place to say about the necklace. 


The photo of course is not like the reality. It is one of those lovely bits of dicroic glass which transmit and reflect light in really amazing ways. I have a thing with light and color because, after all, I serve the One Who spoke light into being and is the Light of the World and sends me to be light


So this bit of glass makes me think of a lot of things. The shape makes me think of an arrowhead. I want to be shot out for God's battle. It has no light of its own but reflects back the light it receives in glorious ways. It divides the light into different colors just as different things at different points in life reflect back with different beauty and meaning. The colors shift around as you move it around in the light, although of course, the light itself is steady. It is shot through with a black streak where the light doesn't shine, and yet, because of the way the light reflects from the rest of the glass, we know the light is hitting that section, too. And now the whole thing was lost, and has been found, amongst rejoicing.  :)


And the back of the necklace:


Here we see solid black, on the side away from the light. And we have the maker's initials, just as we bear the image of God, our maker. 


Thank you, Miss Dance, for this beautiful gift of love.

2 comments:

  1. I like.
    I'm so glad that you went out and found the necklace and then posted about it. You've put together an excellent analogy and I got excited about it. Because - I bet each piece of glass would reflect differently. Individuality rocks.

    Thank you for sharing your gift with us. ^_^

    PS- Thank you for the thought about painting/decorating canvas shoes. We will be trying that -- but certainly NOT in a mob -- er -- group setting.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your bananas here, please. :)