Sunday, May 22, 2011

Balanced Diet, Unbalanced Memories

:-P


Sometimes I wonder. 


On the way home from church tonight Miss Dance and Mr Music were reading a book of Clean Jokes. Mr Music read the one about the man who said he was eating a balanced diet and had to go on to explain to his friend that the reason was because he is learning to be a tightrope walker. 


So, for no reasonable reason, I immediately thought of what would that mean? a burger in one hand and a shake in the other. And not just any burger and shake, I could actually taste the ones from Shelton's in Chicago. The place that was in the old movie Risky Business. A place I only ate at twice, and not for over 25 years.


Those burgers and shakes are really good.


And I also have loved two other burgers in my life - the ones at Steak'n'Shake when I was little and we would visit our grandparents who lived just outside Orlando and we would eat lying on our bellies in the back of their VW squareback which smelled very vinylly in the Florida heat (those burgers tasted better than the ones they sell now); and the ones the Red Barn used to make that were called Barnbusters. Their ad was, "When the hungries hit, hit the Red Barn." Love it.


I am feeling like Wimpy now: "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." 

3 comments:

  1. It's a good job I just ate lunch or I'd be heading straight to the fridge after reading that. Mind you..after hearing about 'ammoniated beef' in the US recently I think my appetite would disappear quickly. Do you have it in your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One bag of White Castle double cheeseburgers with no pickles, and an order of onion rings. Cardiac Heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your bananas here, please. :)