Sunday, May 29, 2011

Spinach and Baby Names

I must be on a real Looney Toons kick lately. Anyhow, Mr Music has been watching a lot of Popeye cartoons (and wanting to chew spinach leaves when he pitches). This leads to interesting discussions around our place.




Last night Mr Music was talking about Swee'Pea and Miss Dance was saying what sort of name is that, anyhow? I thought it was the best of all possible baby names and Mr Music said it will be completely ridiculous when he grows up. I pointed out that even my Dad liked watching Popeye and that in all this time, Swee'Pea has not grown up and so this name thing is no problem at all. 


Being the academic I am, I conducted further research by checking with wikipedia. Apparently in one 1933 strip Popeye renamed Swee'Pea "Scooner Seawell Georgia Washenting Christiffer Columbia Daniel Boom."


So what do you think? Is Swee'Pea an appropriate name for a baby or not? (I reserve the right to discuss Olive Oyl in a future post.)

2 comments:

  1. Miss Dance was protesting this as a name? *one raised eyebrow*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^_^ I always thought it was a strange name for a boy.... Of course, it's easier to SPELL than the other name he was given.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your bananas here, please. :)