Saturday, July 28, 2012

Perfectly Legal

I have been thinking about kindness and have decided that it is underrated. Love gets all the good press in popular songs and greeting cards, but kindness oils a lot of wheels and makes life better.


Today I was at a kickoff for a leukemia fundraiser with my Dear Friend who is walking through this disease. My Dear Friend spoke and I noticed how often she mentioned the kindness of others ~ medical staff, support workers, friends, and neighbors. It just struck me that even at the roughest life gets, kindness touches our hearts. 


And then I started wondering about the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5 ~ the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness,self-control; against such things there is no law. I have never figured out if I think those go in any sort of order or not. I always seem to feel that love should come as the capstone but maybe it really is the foundation. If so, I guess it kind of goes: foundation of love; layer of joy in God's goodness; then drawing peace from His goodness and faithfulness; being patient as a result of that peace; and THEN we get to kindness, which looks so simple and childish on the surface. And even kindness is only halfway up the list. God is so good in making us like His Son.


There is no law against kindness. That is very good news in a hurting world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your bananas here, please. :)