Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Where Was John Piper on My Wedding Day?

I have to admit that it never occurred to me to wonder, but today I found out. If you are curious, you can find out by reading his book, David Brainerd. It is available for download at the link, and is a quick read, well worth the time. 


Two brief quotes that challenged me: first, from Brainerd's diary, "I am not worthy of a place among the Indians"... now, why do I never remember the honor and kindness God has shown me in allowing me to care for my family and those around me? I am not worthy...  and second, that Jonathan Edwards was able to call Brainerd's death (in his home, from TB) a "gracious dispensation of Providence" even though his Edwards' own daughter  died of TB herself after nursing Brainerd. I am pretty sure I could not call something leading to my child's death gracious.


Anyhow. I am sorry John Piper didn't get a slice of my cake, but he had other things to do that day. And that is good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your bananas here, please. :)