Monday, July 16, 2012

It's a Sickness, Really

Tonight I walked into Target and saw the Back To School supplies. I already own surplus of index cards, paper clips, folders, binders, graph paper, crayons, all of it, sufficient to start my own store. 


And yet, I walked completely up and down the whole display. Twice. The second time round, I noticed I was trembling slightly with excitement. 


Good grief. This is Target stuff. As a child I loved going into the stationery store which really smelled like ink (in bottles - my parents used fountain pens), and thick paper (not xerox paper), individually sold colored pencils (we especially liked heliotrope), and luxury items such as sealing wax (how I wish I had bought them out when it went for 35 cents a stick). Target stuff, in all its plastic glory, cannot compete. And yet, I was excited.


You will be proud to know I left without buying any of it. But I have started to suspect, after 17 years of homeschooling, the strong possibility that my motivation for homeschooling may be more about having a reason to feed my love of office supplies than any philosophical theories of education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your bananas here, please. :)