Saturday, July 5, 2014

Random Thoughts on Death

I nearly chose red as the font color for this post due to being about death but decided death is more about life than about actually dying, so I am going with a nice vibrant green. 

So I have this bubble page going in my daily notebook with thoughts about death. They are all linked around a central bubble labelled "learning how to die." I hate to admit it but I pretty much think that learning to die is the main lesson of life. The problem for me, at least, is that I am generally disinclined to die, to put my old man to death. 


So many of my thoughts for this page are based around song or hymn lyrics. I wonder if the emotional weight of the subject is more easily carried on music. 


Lyric from Jon Forman song of the same title: 

She said, "Friend,
All along I thought I was learning how to take
How to bend not how to break
How to live not how to cry
But really I've been learning how to die
I've been learning how to die"

Paul says (Philippians 1:21) ~  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 


Andrew Peterson in The Havens Grey: 

When you sail from havens grey
Caught up on the wind and blown away
Close your eyes on the Shadowlands
And bid goodbye to all your friends 
And sail from havens grey
Caught up on the wind and blown away
You'll bid goodbye to all your friends
And close your eyes on the shadowlands
I know you will open them again in the endless day
Of a love that dawns beyond the havens grey.

I was taught once that death is a lot like birth. We were happy and safe in the womb and no words could have explained life outside the womb. We likely would never have chosen to leave and would have been scared if we knew we had to. 

I love the confidence we have both in life and in death, as expressed in In Christ Alone: 

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.


And not in any hymnal, but a favorite for me, Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill:
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant
My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
they've come to take me home."


Galatians 2:20 ~ I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,who loved me and gave himself for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your bananas here, please. :)