Thursday, July 7, 2011

Carpe Picasso

Every now and then I hear a story of a criminal with something I appreciate. This is one of those stories. 


Apparently the thief found a work by Picasso he liked. A lot. And I can't say I blame him especially not if he's a homeschooling Dad. This is exactly how I look after getting everyone through a productive day and having laundry done and dinner cooked. C'mon, tell me I'm not the only one with eyes like that.


So. He must have had a different art appreciation prof than I did. I had the class back in the day when powerpoints were called "slides" on nifty little carousel racks. My prof would project the photos on the screen, and if he particularly liked it, would close his eyes and sigh just a bit before continuing with the lecture.


Anyhow, Mr Innes had certain works that made him close his eyes and sigh longer than others, mainly Vermeers and Rembrandts. He counseled us that (unless we became wealthy enough to buy great works), we should do as he had done, and construct a "mental gallery" of our own favorites which we could visit at any time.


Apparently this guy's prof took it one step farther and counseled his students to forget mental and actually build the gallery. I gotta say I just admire his straight-forward approach to helping himself to art. No face mask. No gun or weapons. No threats or lies. Just walk in and own it.


Hmmm... Mr Innes did not see the coming of the internet. Perhaps I can cut and paste and make my own mental gallery digital... 

2 comments:

  1. That's one way to build an art collection. What will he use to decorate the walls of his prison cell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is exactly how I look after getting everyone through a productive day and having laundry done and dinner cooked. C'mon, tell me I'm not the only one with eyes like that." True, you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your bananas here, please. :)