Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Thanks to Pete Townshend

One of my very favorite hymns that isn't a hymn is The Who's "Bargain." I think this song expresses much of what it is like to follow Christ, because being in love with Him is such a part of that... the words of the song remind me of many bits of Scripture and so I often find myself humming it... 

I'd gladly lose me to find you 
(Jeremiah 29:13 - you will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart)       
I'd gladly give up all I had
To find you I'd suffer anything and be glad

I'd pay any price just to get you
(Matthew 13:45-46 - the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value went and sold all that he had and bought it.

I'd work all my life and I will

To win you I'd stand naked, stoned and stabbed

(Hebrews 11:37-38 - they were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword -- of whom the world was not worthy) 


I'd call that a bargain

The best I ever had

The best I ever had


I'd gladly lose me to find you

I'd gladly give up all I got

(Luke 5:11 - they left everything and followed Him)

To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop

I'd pay any price just to win you

Surrender my good life for bad

(Romans 8:5 - those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit)

To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man

I'd call that a bargain

(Song of Solomon 8:7 - if a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised)

The best I ever had

The best I ever had

I sit looking 'round

I look at my face in the mirror

I know I'm worth nothing without you

(I Corinthians 13:12 - now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known) 
And like one and one don't make two
One and one make one
(John 17:23 - I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one)
And I'm looking for that free ride to me
(Romans 6:22 - now that you have been set free from sin)
I'm looking for you


I'd gladly lose me to find you

I'd gladly give up all I got

To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop


I'd pay any price just to win you

Surrender my good life for bad

To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man


I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
(II Corinthians 4:17 - this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond ALL comparison)
The best I ever had

___


apologies for wonky formatting


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your bananas here, please. :)